Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Fresh Start

I've spent the past decade locked in an isolation chamber.

Incubating in a fetal stage, concentrating on attaining full consciousness.

Then I fucked up. I lost focus. I hopped on the wagon of becoming a corporate drone when my outlook was bleak and I am filled with self-loathing for every minute I spend on the clock, every second that I spend thinking about work, worrying about something that I have an intense disinterest in. I work solely to pay off a car I don't yet own, that I took a loan out to get. So I could get to work.

That was fucking stupid.

In the past couple years, I've been on a musical hiatus. Life started happening too fast for me to analyze every moment in my preferred fashion and it's left my mind and memory windswept, to the point that even my new experiences are nostalgic. Amnesia through distance. Mind you, I've been writing. I've been studying. I've been broadening my musical horizons.

As Royce Da 5'9" would say, "I took some time to, re-define my style."

And it shows. The difference between the writing on my current projects, 'Derelict' and 'Isolation' is staggering. It has gotten noticeably tighter, I'm showing more control. If I say it's an improvement, you need to trust my words at face value, because I am the harshest critic of myself. Why do you think I've been rapping since 5th grade and only started any actual recording in high school? I had to come correct, I had to ensure I was elevated and not coming into the booth to waste time on simplistic shit. I still carry that same level of expectations to this day. I love the music too much to disrespect it with anything less than 100%.

It's been over 2 years since I released 'Empty'. 2 years for a major artist is a long time, much less a subterranean such as myself, and I left the scene when my fan base was finally burgeoning in a cul-de-sac that was not in my neighborhood.

I've missed more release dates, stalled on too many chances. I've seen a glimpse of what staying on my path leads to and I refuse to accept modern wage slavery as my fate. I'd rather die penniless on my financially emancipated terms than remain in debt that physically drowns my spirit knowing that I'm solely responsible for the payments I hate myself for having.

2013. I'm not promising any release dates this time around, when the project's done, the project's done. I have goals, but they're moreso outlines.

I've found my sound. I've found my audience. I've found my reason. For an atheist, this is as close to enlightenment as it gets.

I'll post again when 'Derelict' is wrapped up and posted on BandCamp, we'll have a track-by-track analysis. Maybe. Again, no promises.

One Love, One Finger
- Matt Dyer

No comments:

Post a Comment